About


Site Search

Wiesbaden, Germany

We are proud to say that we are located in one of the safest cities in Germany, which has world-class services, recreation, as well as an extensive public transportation system. We seek and maintain excellent working relationships with all Host Nation municipalities surrounding our installations. All of these items help enhance the wellness of our community members.

The City of Wiesbaden Website (English Version)

Garrison Details

Our mission is to provide the Army the installation capabilities and services to support expeditionary operations in a time of persistent conflict, and to provide a quality of life for Soldiers, Families, civilians and retirees commensurate with their service.

U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden, headquartered at Lucius D. Clay Kaserne, services 15 installations and housing areas as well as several enclaves in and around Wiesbaden, Hessen, to include the Dagger Complex in Darmstadt, Germany.

A small housing area and a training site are located in the City of Mainz, Rheinland Pfalz. The McCully Support Center in Wackernheim in the same state also hosts several logistics units.

Located 20 minutes away from Frankfurt International Airport, the Wiesbaden military community is host to several tenant units, including: U.S. Army Europe Headquarters, 5th Signal Command, 66th Military Intelligence Group, 1st Air Support Operations Group, 1st Battalion, 214th Aviation Regiment, 485th Intelligence Squadron and the 7th Weather Squadron.

Organization

USAG Wiesbaden is a part of Installation Management Command. IMCOM manages Army installations worldwide.

USAG Wiesbaden manages two major installations at Lucius D. Clay Kaserne and Hainerberg, as well as several housing areas.

Directorates & Support Offices
Command Policy Letters
Wiesbaden Units
Who we are

Command Team


Garrison Commander

Col. Todd J. Fish

Colonel Fish assumed command of U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden on April 22, 2016.

Read more…

Deputy to the Commander

Edward "Doug" Earle

Mr. Earle entered federal civilian service in June 2008 after more than 30 years service in the U.S. Army.

Read more…

Command Sergeant Major

Command Sgt. Maj. Chad L. Pinkston

Sergeant Major Pinkston assumed responsibility in the U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden on July 14, 2017.

Read more…


Mission, Vision & Values


Mission & Vision

MISSION:

To provide high quality, cost effective, and efficient infrastructure and services that ensure readiness and enhance the quality of life for our Soldiers, Families and civilians.


VISION:

Wiesbaden — Our home in Germany.

Values

Loyalty: Bear true faith and allegiance to the U.S. constitution, the Army, and Soldiers.


Duty: Fulfill obligations.


Respect: Rely upon the golden rule.


Selfless Service: Put the welfare of the nation, the Army, and subordinates before our own.


Honor: Live up to all the Army values.


Integrity: Do what is right, legally and morally.


Personal Courage: The ability to face fear, danger, or adversity, both physical and moral courage.


History


Historic Airfield at U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden

The area that is presently Lucius D. Clay Kaserne has a long history dating all the way back to the Roman period, as recent archeological excavations revealed. In 1184 a national festival was held on the grounds and the German emperor Friedrich I knighted his sons there.

In later years a racetrack, which was well known throughout Europe for its excellent horse racing competition, was built on the site. On May 11, 1913 Prince Heinrich of Prussia landed in a field near the racetrack, thus completing the first recorded landing by an aircraft on what is now the airfield at Clay Kaserne. Around 1917, due to a decline in racetrack attendance, sponsors included aerial demonstrations as a regular part of the program. During these flying programs some of the most famous German stunt pilots made their appearance at Wiesbaden. Wiesbaden was not used as a military aerodrome during the First World War.

In 1926 a retired German Flying Corps officer, Joseph Aumann, conceived the idea of turning the racetrack into an airfield. Although Aumann's idea did not win public approval he managed to convince city officials that the airfield would attract more visitors to the Spas of Wiesbaden and stimulate business in Wiesbaden and Mainz.

In the spring of 1929 the Wiesbaden-Mainz airport was opened. Private and sport flying grew in popularity in Wiesbaden through 1933 when the Third Reich came into power. Flight training was organized for future Luftwaffe pilots at Wiesbaden during this time.

In 1936, Luftwaffe Headquarters in Berlin designated Wiesbaden Airfield as a fliegerhorst or air base. Construction of the military kaserne, the runway and hangar complex was completed in 1938 and the first German military unit, the famous "Ace of Spades" fighter wing, occupied Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden. Wiesbaden was used by the Luftwaffe throughout the second World War as a fighter and bomber base. At the peak of its use as many as 40 bombers took off every 3 hours on assigned bombing missions. Naturally, Wiesbaden was the target of numerous allied bombing missions and at one time as many as 76 bomb craters were counted on the runway. To this day unexploded ordnance from those bombing raids is occasionally found during construction projects close to the airfield.

In late March 1945, Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden was abandoned by the Luftwaffe and occupied by advancing American soldiers. U.S. troops remained on Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden after the war, and in September 1947, the U.S. Army Air Corps became a separate service — the U.S. Air Force. At that time in 1948, Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden was designated Wiesbaden Air Base and was the home of Headquarters U.S. Air Force in Europe.

During the Berlin Airlift 1948-1949, airmen from Wiesbaden distinguished themselves in support of "Operation Vittles". C54's and C84 "Flying Boxcars" of the 60th Troop Carrier Group flew missions daily from Wiesbaden to Tempelhof Airport in the beleaguered city of Berlin. During one day's operations more than 80 tons of food and supplies were airlifted from Wiesbaden Air Base. The streets on Wiesbaden Army Airfield are named after servicemen that gave their lives during the Berlin Airlift.

In 1963, President John F. Kennedy visited Wiesbaden Air Base.

In 1976, USAFE and all USAF flying units moved to Ramstein and were replaced at Wiesbaden Air Base by a U.S. Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade. During this period flying activities at Wiesbaden were greatly reduced. In 1984 the unit was deactivated and the decision made to use the Air Base for its primary purpose — that of an aviation facility. Although it retained the name Wiesbaden Air Base, at that time Wiesbaden AAF became the primary airfield of the U.S. Army V Corps.

In 1998 the Air Base was officially renamed Wiesbaden Army Airfield. Prior to the Army's global rebasing and restructuring, the airfield served as the home for 3rd Corps Support Command, V Corps Headquarters, First Armored Division Headquarters and related support elements.

As the Headquarters of U.S. Army Europe started moving to Wiesbaden from Heidelberg, Wiesbaden Army Airfield was renamed Gen. Lucius D. Clay Kaserne in 2012.

Today, USAG Wiesbaden hosts a number of military units and service organizations, including USAREUR Headquarters, 5th Signal Command, the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade, 1st Battalion, 214th Aviation Regiment, American Forces Network-Wiesbaden and several U.S. Air Force units.

U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden was named the 2011 Army Chief of Staff Army Communities of Excellence Gold Winner, followed by recognition with the Sustained Excellence Award for 2012 - a distinction that puts it at the top of a select list of outstanding garrisons across the Army.

Read more about American history in Wiesbaden in English or German.