News flash

Youth of the Year

U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden’s Youth of the Year, Natalia Lynch, was recognized with top honor from the Boys and Girls Clubs of America as the 2014 Military Youth of the Year in a reception at the Women in Military Service for America Memorial in Arlington, Va. She will visit Washington, D.C. Sept. 12-17 to meet with President Barack Obama, receive a $20,000 scholarship and serve as the BGCA’s official youth advocate for military teens across the country and abroad. Lynch will also join five other finalists from state clubs to vie for the National Youth of the Year honor and another scholarship from Tupperware Brands Corporation, the official sponsor of the overall National Youth of the Year program.

Central Issue Facility closed

Wiesbaden’s Central Issue Facility will be closed Sept. 22-26 for inventory. For emergencies call civ (0611) 546-6030/6023.

Medical Town Hall

Meet the new health clinic commander, Lt. Col. LaShanda Cobbs, and address your patient concerns during a Medical Town Hall to be held Sept. 30 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Tony Bass Auditorium on Clay Kaserne and from 6-8 p.m. at the Taunus Theater at the Hainerberg Shopping Center.

Retiree Appreciation Day

The Wiesbaden Health Clinic hosts a Retiree Appreciation Day Oct. 25 starting at 10:30 a.m. Military retirees can stop by for immunizations, optometry care, blood pressure checks, pharmacy refills and more. Visit the clinic’s Facebook page at for the latest information. The event will also feature subject matter experts at the Community Activity Center providing assistance on pay inquiries, Customs, postal services, military ID cards and more. Call the Retirement Services program manager at civ (0611) 143-548-1614 for details.

Estate claims

Anyone having claims on or obligations to the estate of Pfc. Francisco M. Castillo of 515th Transportation Company, 39th Transportation Battalion, 16th Sustainment Brigade, should contact the summary court officer, 2nd Lt. Spencer Bolduc at or call civ (0151) 1758-5690.

Human resource award nominees

U.S. Army Europe commanders will have until Nov. 14 to nominate their top performing human resources personnel for the annual Frederick E. Vollrath Human Resources Award for Excellence. The six awards categories are junior officer (second lieutenants through captains), junior warrant officers (warrant officers through chief warrant officers three), noncommissioned officers (corporals through sergeants first class), junior enlisted (privates through specialists), civilians (GS-9s and below and non-appropriated fund equivalents, senior civilians (GS-10s to 15s and NAF equivalents). Call U.S. Army Europe’s G-1, Awards and Actions Branch, at mil 337-9147 or civ (0611) 705-9147 for details. (USAREUR Public Affairs)

World War II veterans

Veterans of World War II will be honored at the Army in Europe Retiree Appreciation Day hosted by the U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden Oct. 25 at Clay Kaserne. If you are a World War II veteran living in Europe, send an email indicating your interest in participating along with your phone number, home address, and a good time to call you.

U.S. citizen information night

The U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt hosts an American Citizen Information Night Sept. 25 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. The event will include information and representatives from U.S. citizen community groups and clubs, passport and citizenship services, Social Security and other federal benefits, and immigration information. Make sure to bring your passport or Ausweis to the consulate (located at Giessener Str. 30, 60435 Frankfurt).

Casualty assistance training

As per Army Regulation 600-8-1, captains, chief warrant officers 2 and sergeants first class and higher must complete casualty notification/assistance training Sept. 15-17. Army civilians are highly encouraged to attend. Contact your unit S-3 to secure a seat and to find out the times and location.

Combined Federal Campaign

Military members and federal civilian employees will have the opportunity to give to the charities of their choice during the Combined Federal Campaign 2014 which runs from Sept. 8 to Nov. 7. Visit for more information.

Workplace survey

About 580,000 service members have begun receiving emails or letters inviting them to participate in the RAND Military Workplace Study, Defense Department officials said. Active and reserve component members in all military branches and the Coast Guard are being invited to participate. “The survey is unprecedented in its scale and will influence policies that affect everyone in the services,” defense officials said. It’s voluntary and confidential. No one at the Defense Department will ever see how an individual service member responds, officials stressed. “No service member may be ordered or pressured to complete the survey or not to complete it,” officials said. Survey respondents can forward the survey to their personal email addresses and they can complete the survey on smart phones. Service members can use duty time to complete the survey. The study will help commanders at all levels evaluate current military workplace relations, professionalism and personal safety, officials said. The survey is being conducted independently of the Department of Defense by experts at the nonprofit, nonpartisan RAND Corporation. A full and public report of the RAND findings will be available in May 2015. (Defense Department release)

Rabbit advisory

If you see a rabbit that has visible puffiness around the eyes and appears fatigued (won’t run when you approach it), then they may be sick with a virus called Myxomotosis. Rabbits that become infected by the myxoma virus develop skin tumors followed by fatigue, fever, and panting and usually die within 14 days. The virus is rabbit-specific and does not pose a danger to humans (or cats/dogs); however, as with any wild animal, contact should be avoided. If you notice a rabbit displaying symptoms of being sick, contact the Directorate of Public Works Customer Service at civ (0611) 705-9999.

Apply now for Funded Legal Education Program

The Office of the Judge Advocate is now accepting applications for the Army’s Funded Legal Education Program. Selected officers will attend law school at government expense beginning in fall 2015 while remaining on active duty. Applicants must be commissioned officers with 2 to 6 years of active federal service when school begins. Review Army Regulation 27-1, Chapter 14 to determine eligibility and application requirements. Application deadline is Nov. 1. Contact the U.S. Army Europe OJA Lt. Col. Sara Root mil 337-9294 or (0611) 705-4700 to set up an interview and for more information.

Keeping a watchful eye

Officials at the U.S. Army Europe Office of the Provost Marshal want newcomers to Europe to be aware of possible ways they could be ripped off. With pickpockets not uncommon in Europe, people need to be especially cautious in crowded areas. OPM Law Enforcement Chief Joseph Daly said people should beware of being jostled, bumped or crowded, and be alert to actions such as a person dropping something or causing a loud commotion that may be staged distractions to help a thief grab a victim’s valuable unnoticed. Day recommended that women carry their handbags or purses in front of them and men should place their wallets in their front pockets to thwart pickpockets. See more crime prevention tips at (USAREUR Public Affairs)

Emergency numbers

Do you know what number to call in an emergency? For on-post emergencies call the Military Police at mil 114 or civ (0611) 705-114; for an ambulance or in case of fire call mil 117 or civ (0611) 705-117. For off-post emergencies call the German Police at civ 110 or for an ambulance/fire call civ 112. Be aware that if you dial 112 or 110 from your cell or home phone on post will go to a German dispatcher. To call the Military Police for non-emergencies dial civ 548-7777/7778 or 7779; civ (0611) 143-548-7777/7778 or 7779. To call the Clay Fire Station for a non-emergency call mil 337-5883 or 5315; civ (0611) 705-5883 or 5315.

VAT form prices rise

Starting Aug. 1 the cost of a Value Added Tax form increased to $5 for purchases of up to €2499.99. VAT forms for purchases of €2,500 and higher now cost $65. UTAP registration increases to $99. For more information or to purchase forms before that date stop by the VAT/UTAP Office in Building 1023E on Clay Kaserne. Call civ (0611) 143-544-9888 for more information.

Car shipping problems

International Auto Logistics, the new global privately owned vehicle contractor, is not meeting customer required delivery date for shipment. Service members who incur an expense because their vehicles have not arrived at the authorized destination by the required delivery date (during a permanent change of station) are eligible for monetary reimbursement. Call Brigit Smith at civ (0611) 705-7038 or email                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Designated drivers

Besides helping save lives, designated drivers drink for free at local Family, Morale, Welfare and Recreation facilities including the Cappuccino Casino, Little Italy Restaurant and Catering Center, U’R Place Bar and Grill, Wiesbaden Entertainment Center and the Rheinblick Golf Course. Designated drivers in a group of two or more individuals should let the bartender or server know that he or she is the designated driver to obtain a wrist band entitling that person to free non-alcoholic beverages.

Importing pets stateside

People moving stateside this summer may take most types of pets with them if they plan ahead. However endangered species laws prevent people from taking some turtles, birds and reptiles to the United States. “Dogs must be free of disease and be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 day before they reach the USA,” said Mike Dean, director of the U.S. European Command’s customs and Border Clearance Agency. “Puppies younger than three months and dogs in rabies-free areas such as the United Kingdom are exempted, however.” Unvaccinated dogs will be inoculated on arrival and confined for 30 days at the owner’s expense. Cats must show no signs of disease and rabies vaccination is required in most U.S. states. People wanting to ship pet birds should consult the U.S. Department of Agriculture website at Arrangements to ship pet birds must be made 120 days in advance of a Permanent Change of Station move. For information about shipping pets to Hawaii (a rabies-free state) visit (USAREUR Customs Release)

Put it on ICE

Have you been waiting to submit feedback for a garrison service or facility but aren’t sure how? Submitting an electronic Interactive Customer Evaluation card ensure the appropriate get the submission immediately. To access ICE visit and click on the ICE button on the bottom left side of the page. This will take you to the garrison’s ICE page. Once there either use the “Service Provider Search” option, the “Show All” option or “Submitting a Site” comment. You can leave your contact information and request a response from management or you leave an anonymous submission. All are reviewed – so make sure your feedback is heard.

Helmets required

Helmets are required when riding a bike, scooter or skateboard on all U.S. Army Europe installations.

Don’t mail Kinder eggs

Military Customs officials remind members of the U.S. Forces community in Germany that chocolate Kinder eggs cannot be imported into the United States. Mailing them could result in a fine. (USAREUR Release)

Staying safe on bikes, blades

With warmer weather bringing out more two-wheeled enthusiasts, the Directorate of Emergency Services reminds bicyclists, skaters, skateboarders and kick-scooters to use paths, sidewalks or parts of the road marked for bicycle use when available and to ride as far to the right of the road as possible. Using skates, rollerblades, skateboards or kick-scooters in traffic is prohibited. Using cell phones or mobile music devices that impede hearing is prohibited. Enthusiasts should wear light-colored clothing or reflective accessories and an approved helmet. Skaters, skateboarders and kick-scooter riders should wear knee and elbow pads and wrist guards. Bicycles must be equipped with a headlight, taillight, wheel and pedal reflectors and functioning brakes. Military ID cardholders must wear a helmet when on military installations.

Contacting CWT/Sato Travel

To avoid long waiting times during a visit to the official travel office send an email to That way your request will be addressed by CWT/Sato travel agents throughout Europe. Your reservation request should contain the travel date, desitnation authorized per your order, full name, Social Security Number, date of birth of all travelers, phone number and point of contact. If traveling with a pet provide kennel dimensions and weight of pet. Patrons are also asked to use the civilian number civ (0611) 977 340 rather than the DSN number to contact the office.

Lock your vehicle

Leaving your vehicle unsecure is a traffic violation in Germany and can result in a fine. If you leave your vehicle unsecured and the Polizei cannot locate you or secure your vehicle they will secure your valuables and you can retrieve them with a ticket at the local Polizei Precinct. Also the police advise everyone to secure their license plates properly to their vehicles. Report missing or stolen plate to the Military Police immediately. (Courtesy of the Directorate of Emergency Services)

New CAC ID process

Army Appropriated Fund civilian employees and family members are no longer required to visit their Civilian Personnel Advisory Center before renewing their CAC cards. They can go directly to their ID card section. This only applies for Army ID card facilities. If you chose to obtain a CAC from a non-ARMY ID card office you will be required to obtain a DD Form 1172-2 (application for identification card/DEERS

Visual information requests

Customers requesting visual information support from Wiesbaden’s Training Support Center are advised that when visiting the VIOS website,, they must now click on the Europe section of the map  to submit a request.

Inclement weather updates

Be sure to tune in to AFN radio (FM98.7) starting at 6 a.m. weekdays to hear the latest road, traffic and school closure information. Community members can also call the Weather Hotline at civ (0611) 7245 or 6101, check the Garrison Wiesbaden Facebook page or click on the Weather and Road Conditions link on the garrison’s home page ( for the latest updates on delays and closures due to weather.

Eagle 360

American Forces Network listeners in Wiesbaden can now get live streaming radio services on their computer desktops and mobile devices. AFN 360 Internet Radio, launched Dec. 3, offers eight streaming radio channels including a local station and seven additional streams of news, sports talk, political talk and music. In addition to music and talk shows, AFN 360 features local and regional information. Visit and select AFN to get streamed AFN Wiesbaden The Eagle radio. (Defense Media Activity News Release)

Check Fuel Card

Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials advise patrons to check their Esso Fuel Card expiration date (lower right hand corner). If near expiration, customers must stop by the nearest AAFES Fuel Card issuing location for a replacement card. (Courtesy of AAFES Public Affairs)

Bikes on public transportation

Did you know that you can take your bicycle along with for free on any S-Bahn throughout the week in the Rhein-Main Region? Bikes may also be taken on U-Bahns and buses on the weekends; however, on weekdays they are not permitted during rush hour (6-8:30 a.m. and 4-6:30 p.m.). Anytime on weekends is OK for bikes. Wheelchairs and buggies have priority over bikes.

Snow and ice response

The U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden’s Directorate of Public Works provides snow and ice removal after major storms. Priority is given to clearing the airfield taxiways, garrison-controlled roads and common area walkways. The city of Wiesbaden clears road in open housing areas giving priority to city bus routes, then major roads feeding to city bus routes and then residential areas. Housing residents are responsible for clearing sidewalks from door to parking space. Newman Village residents are also responsible for clearing the sidewalks in front of their quarters. Tenant units/activities are responsible for clearing the steps leading to their facilities while DPW crews will clear the steps of public facilities.

Farm traffic only

Drivers are reminded that the farm road behind Clay Kaserne (adjacent to Newman Housing) is for farm traffic, cyclists and pedestrians only. It is not to be used as a thoroughfare to approach or leave Clay Kaserne. The Polizei will ticket drivers who use the farm road, according to Lt. Col.

Greet Boot program

Is your unit signed up for the Green Boot program. Help the Army save resources and money by sharing great ideas about ways to conserve and use energy more efficiently. Contact Maj. William McGlothlin at mil 337-5840 or for more information.

Overseas car conversion

Americans in Europe must beware of European car dealers who offer to convert cars or motorcycles to U.S. standards. You could lose a lot of money by trying to ship a vehicle “converted” in Europe to the States. The Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency only accept work done by licensed companies in the United States, not the work of individuals or overseas companies. U.S. Customs can easily check vehicle identification numbers to detect phony conversions. Under EPA regulations, nonconforming vehicles less than 21 years old may only enter the United States through an independent commercial importer. These vehicles must be tested and adapted to the emission standards in effect at the time of production. Vehicles that are 21 years old or older do not require EPA tests or conversions. DOT requires shippers of nonconforming vehicles to sign a contract with a registered import company that must certify in advance that it can convert the model to U.S. safety standards. The owner must also post a bond for one and half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. Shipping, paperwork and conversions cost between $6,500 and $25,000 per vehicle. Get the “Importing a Car” pamphlet from Customs or visit for details.

DOT code a must

Tires shipped stateside must meet U.S. Department of Transportation standards, whether fitted to vehicles or not. So if you replace tires on your privately owned vehicle or buy a used vehicle, check for the DOT code if you intend to ship the POV to the States. Check both sides of the tire for the code as it may appear only on one side. Visit for more information. (Customs Release)

Make ID card appointments online

Did you know you can make an appointment online to get a new ID card? To schedule an appointment go to The ID Cards/DEERS office is located in Room 111, Building 1023E on Clay Kaserne. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the last customer sign-in at 3:30 p.m. Call mil 337-6355 or civ (0611) 705-5515 for more information.

Check Fuel Card

Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials advise patrons to check their Esso Fuel Card expiration date (lower right hand corner). If near expiration, customers must stop by the nearest AAFES Fuel Card issuing location for a replacement card. (Courtesy of AAFES Public Affairs)